All You Need to Know About NHIF
Hospital bills in Kenya can really put a lot of strain on your finances and this can undoubtedly leave you in a rut. However, when you have, you’re NHIF Kenya card available, you might not really end up being in the hole. 500 KES per month is the only arrear that you will incur for the NHIF Kenya card and this is inclusive of an unlimited amount of family members on your side.
Here are the documents you need to get an NHIF Kenya card:
- Copy of the your Kenya National I.D (including spouse if applicable)
- Coloured passport photo (including spouse & dependents if applicable)
- Original & copies of your Kenyan Birth Certificate(s) for dependents
- If employed (your employer should give you the NHIF employer code)
If you choose to be a member of this bracket, i.e a voluntary member, then you will incur a cost of KES 500 per month. However, in addition to this, you will receive several benefits such as
- An in-patient cover for the contributor, declared spouse and children
- Provides comprehensive medical cover in majority of over 400 accredited Government facilities, Mission health providers and some private health providers across the country
- Provides in-patient services in private and high cost hospitals on a co-payment basis
- Comprehensive maternity and CS (Caesarian) package in government hospitals, majority of mission and some private hospitals
In order to be able to activate these benefits, you must provide the following:
- NHIF pre-authorization from completing both by the doctor and patient (check NHIF website).
- Proforma invoice/ quotation and any relevant treatment documentation from the admitting hospital.
- Copy of patient’s ID card
- Copy of patients NHIF card
The whole process of approval will take less than 24 hours and the form can be collected at the NHIF branch by any one of the people on the NHIF cover.
NHIF also provides an NHIF self-service portal where you can easily check your NHIF status at any time through NHIF e-services and you can follow these easy steps:
- get to the NHIF e-services official website: nhif.or.ke
- If you are visiting the site for the very first time, you need to first register in order to receive the services.
- Here are three paramount requirements; the NHIF card numbers, a valid email address and a day working phone number in case they would like to reach up to you for enquiries or other reasons.
- There are three very important requirements; the NHIF card numbers, a valid email address and a functioning phone number in case they would like to reach up to you for enquiries or other reasons.
- This will come after you have been prompted to fill in your personal details.
- Create a password.
- Following this, get online and check the status of your NHIF.
NHIF Self-Service: How to Check your NHIF status on your mobile:
- Send an SMS to 21101
- Write a message with the initials Kenya ID and your ID number.
- After this, you will promptly receive a text with all your NHIF details.
One more thing that you need to be aware of is the NHIF penalties which are given to members who have late payments on their card which can amount to five times the monthly payment. Also, employers may incur the same.
Also look at: