All You Need to Know About iTax
KRA iTax, file tax returns using Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice, register all tax payments and make status inquiries with real-time monitoring of their account.
iTax was created to serve the principal that you don’t need to waste time making a queue or going to the KRA offices in order to file the returns and what not.
It’s efficient and simple and it goes along with the changing times of the world, right? Yes.
You must be reading this and thinking, when should you start paying your taxes? Well, the answer is if you are above the age of 18 and earning some form of income, then you should be able to file returns at any given time.
These days, if you’re a business owner and you want to expand your business, you should get a KRA PIN number.
If you want to open a bank account, you need to have a KRA number. Plain and simple. It’s everywhere and you need to have one yourself.
How to Register for your KRA PIN on the iTax System in 2019
- Visit the iTax website
- Register yourself for a new PIN number here on the Itax Website.
- Following the link, you will be redirected to a page and you are then required to indicate the kind of Tax payer you are I.e Individual or Non-individual.
- Fill in your basic information with the most accurate detail.
- Fill in your Taxpayer obligations.
- Indicate your source of Income
- Enter your Agent details and then you will get your PIN.
The KRA iTax website is accessible from any internet connected computer or laptop and you can easily generate your KRA iTax PIN at the comfort of your own home.
Even on your mobile phone if you want to check on your iTax Kenya details, you need only access your iTax Kenya profile with the help of your user ID and your special password that you’ve set for the KRA iTax website.
If you are the sole proprietor of your Kenyan enterprise, then you will use your own individual iTax Kenya PIN to register and file returns for your business.
Through this KRA iTax website, you will be able to file returns based on your own income tax, which is highly dependent on the total net income that you earn in any given year.
How to File KRA iTax Returns in 2019
- Log in to your iTax Kenya account on the site and click on the “Returns” menu
- Choose the “File Return” option on the drop-down menu.
- If you are a student click the “Nil Return” or In case you have already filed your return but discover that you input erroneous information. You have the option of redoing the return and filling it again. In this case you will choose the second option which is ‘File Amended Return’. You can also view the return that you have filed.
- Once you click on File Returns you will move to the next page. For the purposes of this article, I selected the first option which is Income Tax-Resident Individual. After selecting the relevant option, click next.
- Unlike the system that KRA had earlier, on iTax one has to download an excel sheet on which you input the relevant data.
- Once you have completed filling out the form and there are no errors, it is then compressed into a zip folder that you can easily upload on iTax. Ensure to indicate whether it is the original return or an amended version. Also indicate the return period, which in this case is January to December 2015, agree to the terms and conditions and finally submit.
After you have submitted the iTax return, you will receive an acknowledgement number and an email confirming that you have successfully submitted your return.
With Kenya Breaking news announcing that this year tax violators would be dealt with more strictly perhaps it is a good idea to submit your tax returns early.